Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Firework Madness

I've lived most of my life in dense urban areas. When holidays like the 4th roll around, I'm used seeing a decent amount of fireworks set off by my neighbors - even though every place I've ever lived has laws against them.

What I experienced last night, however, was unreal. Starting at about 8:00pm (a good hour and a half before it was dark) people in the neighborhood started setting off small bottle rockets and firecrackers. It was at a pretty impressive rate, but I really didn't think much of it. When the sun finally went down, the sky lit up, for well over 2 hours. I couldn't believe the number and variety bottle rockets, firecrackers, etc going off. It was a non-stop barrage of light and noise. Normally I'm a pretty big fan of these little shows, but after 30 minutes or so, it just became silly. It may have gone much later than 11:00pm, I don't know I gave up and went to sleep.

I have no idea what made yesterday so special, or different, but if every year is going to be like this, I'll never have to go to a "real" fireworks show again.

No comments: