Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Top 10 downloads of the past 10 years - CNET

As more and more sites celbrate 10 years on the net, I'm sure we are going to see more of these lists: Top 10 downloads of the past 10 years - CNET.com.

A couple of things come to mind about this. First I was surprised to see how many of the top 10 items that I have downloaded, 9. And how many of them I currently have on my computer, 5.

My other thought was about lists in general and how much we seem to love them. It seems everyone has a top x list or a best of list. I guess to me, lists are trival, though I have to admit, I do look at them to see how my own personal tastes are represented. Maybe that is the point of them, for each of us to be able to confirm that our own tastes are normal or at least within the cultural norm. Of course, there is the flip of that. Sometimes it is nice to know that your tastes are above the norm, cause we all know how cool it is to be "different".

No comments: