Friday, January 28, 2005

Foodies Delight

The wife and I are both foodies (n. a person devoted to refined sensuous enjoyment (especially good food and drink)). If our TV is on, it is most likely on Food Network. The Food Network site has always been a bit of a disappointment to me. Sure you can find the latest recipes from Emeril, but there has always been something lacking to me. Or perhaps, I was overly distracted by all of the attempts at ecommerce - ads and links everywhere to shopping pages on the Food Network site itself.

Things are getting better however. With the launch of Iron Chef America the Food Network has finally started to get into the whole interactive TV / Web thing. There is a game that allows you to play along with show, in real time which I found to be a real enhancement to the overall experience of watching. When you add good background information (bios on chefs and challengers, movies on food shopping for the show, etc), it looks like the marketing brains at Food Network finally are beginning to get it.

Another Food Network discovery I made this morning was Alton Brown’s web site and blog. If you are into food and if you are even the slightest bit geeky, Alton Brown is the cook (I don’t think he is a real chef) for you. Proof of the fact that he is a true geek’s cook came when Wired did a piece on him last June. I think he may be my hero... :)

No comments: