Thursday, April 27, 2006

$100 Rebate Checks

Do the Republicans in the Senate really think we are dumb enough to buy this proposed $100 Rebate check? Give me a break! At the price I paid at the pump yesterday ($3 a gallon), the check would just barely give me two fill ups. Wow... what a relief - that kind of savings could make or break my ability to buy a... what? I don't even know, extra couple of cups of coffee and maybe a dinner out? Big deal - and of course, since there is no such thing as free money - there is a very high price for this. We have to open up part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil exploration just to get this "windfall." If you look at who is sponsoring the bill - things become a bit clearer. Senator Ted Stevens is one of the backers and he has been trying very hard for years to try and open up one of the last truly pristine place in America to drilling. Of the rest of the sponsors I don't see a single person I would trust to watch my dog for an hour, let alone guide energy policy.

What a joke - hopefully Americans won't buy in to this. I got an idea, why don't we use this money (where is it coming from anyway, more deficit spending?) to invest in technologies that get us off the oil, instead of just putting a few bucks in the average persons pocket?

No comments: