Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Being to Cheap or Too Stupid...

I love playing good computer games. Since I was 12, it has been one of my favorite hobbies. In the past several years, two games have filled my game playing time more than most. A couple years ago, I got Morrowind. Up until that point, I hadn't been very happy with more RPG's, but Morrowind filled the void and provided me with damn near endless game playing. I think I played it for about nine straight months. Since then, I've been waiting for Oblivion to come out. And now that it was, I've barely played anything else. Sure, I still love Guild Wars, and I'm learning to love World of Warcraft (though I still think it is a bit over-rated), but given the chance to play anything, and I'm booting up Oblivion.

Bethesda has started to release optional content to expand/enhance the game. While I'm nowhere near needing new content yet, I really like that I can get new missions, items, etc. for $2 a shot. To me, this is a great way for the developers to expand on playability and still make good money (which they deserve for making such a high quality game). What drives me nuts are all of the complete idiots filling forums all over the web calling this behavior unfair, evil, etc.

Give me a break! First of, why shouldn't you pay for someone else's hard work? Second, it's optional, if you don't want to pay for it, the game is still worthwhile. And, come on, really, what else can you get for $2 that provides at least a couple of hours of entertainment?

I for one, am happy to pay a couple of bucks to expand my playing experience, knowing that it helps to make the product more successful, which in turn, will make the bean-counters more likely to approve the creation of the next great RPG!

No comments: